Friday, March 13, 2009

Why change to nursing?

Sometimes when people discover that nursing is not my 1st career, they would ask about my previous career. Their next question would often be, "Why did you change to nursing?".

In all honesty, I cannot think of a single compelling reason in answer to the above question. Perhaps I should quote the movie "Slumdog Millionare" and reply, "It is written".

Yesterday I replied an email from a friend in the financial industry. The reply was done at the end of a "not-so-great" day at work. Although my friend did not asked the above question directly, I found that this is my most honest non-paranormal perspective on my career switch. [For the paranormal perspective, click here.]

--- Start of email ---

Dear [edited],

I am well. At the moment, I am about 5 weeks from the end of my nursing course, still doing my final clinical attachment at [edited]. On the tough days, I wonder why I'm into this line, not something else that relies more on my best asset - my brains. However, on the good days, I enjoy the camaraderie, satisfaction of serving my clients, and the chance to give myself a psychological "break" from the "Money Money Money" financial world. Overall though, in these gloomy times, I'm glad to be in one of the few sectors that is still in-demand.

[Edited]

--- End of email ---

Abba - Money, money, money

No comments

Post a Comment