Friday, June 19, 2009

The 3 musketeers

Took the team with the rooms far from the nursing station today. During report passing, there were 3 patients transferred to my team. Thus, I had 8 instead of 5 patients. Then mid-afternoon, another 1 more patient was transferred over, making a total of 9.

Started-off ok. Then I lost track of time after following 2 doctors on their rounds. Some medication was delayed as a result. Luckily, a very experienced HCA K was assisting me, so she helped me keep close tabs on the patients. SEN L, who was on the other team, even offered to cover me so that I may eat my dinner. I thanked her for the offer but decided that I had to continue so as to improve my skills. Later, when it looks like I wasn't going to complete on-time, my preceptor and the capable SEN L came to my rescue. Thanks to them, things were reasonably completed at the end of the shift.

SEN L joked that it will be my preceptor, her and me, "the 3 musketeers" again for tomorrow's afternoon shift. I still did not have any toilet, tea or dinner break today, but I ended work feeling happy. I am very grateful to have supportive colleagues guiding me. Hope I will make the cut and be an effective member of the team.

No comments

Post a Comment