Thursday, November 17, 2011

Illusion of Anonymity

I read with interest the tongue-in-cheek statement by blogger Limpeh Is Foreign Talent, "Perhaps the fact that I am somewhat nervous about saying anything bad about LKY here is a sign that you can take the boy out of Singapore, but you can't take Singapore out of the boy."

IMHO, it shows someone who thinks carefully about his public presence, even if it is only an online one using a pseudonym.

Unlike Lucky Tan and Molly Meek who stick mostly to the non-personal information/commentary, bloggers such as Limpeh reveal enough personal information online such that those with vested interests (and maybe a bit of authority or money or both) can easily track them down. Thus, online anonymity is an illusion, especially in Singapore. Even "anonymous" bloggers such as Lucky or Molly can be traced down if the right person with enough authority and/or money wants it done.

I am well aware of this illusion of anonymity. E.g. Anyone who was my nursing colleague, previously my nursing classmate/teacher, or anyone who processed the exit of my nursing bond, etc, can quite easily deduce who I am from some of my blog entries. And thus, I am careful about what I write online too. Thankfully, I am just a small fry with very few hits [around 200 a month as of November 2011] and therefore I'm unlikely to be under anyone's radar anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. I feel this fear of yours when comments need approval approval approval (u admit u are small fry) even though we are like at opposite ends of the planet & never met. You are already tens of thousands of km away from S'pore.

    (Perhaps this comment get censored & deleted.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, yes, Xianlong,

      I am one small kia-si fry. So bo pian, comments also gotta have approval approval approval. I may be 10s of 1000s of km away from the little red dot, but I am still its citizen and is bound by her laws whenever I return to the dot, even for just a visit.

      Thanks for dropping by and commenting. :)

      Delete