Friday, January 20, 2012

From unbearable lightness to 7.5 stones

For the first time in my life, I have no problem staying within the healthy Asian BMI range.

I was born with a typical ectomorph's bone structure. In addition, I am a person of inertia -- i.e. once I get started on an activity, I find it troublesome to break for meals. My habit of not breaking for meals is pretty much reinforced by the fast pace of life in Singapore. Thus, I grew from a skinny undersized kid into a skinny teen-sized adult. Almost all of my medical check-ups came with an "underweight" warning to ensure that I am getting enough caloric intake and nutrients.

After 14 months in Canada, I have gained around 5kg. At my part-time workplace, we have breaks scheduled every 2 to 2.5 hours. The scheduled breaks overwrote my habit of inertia and I eat/snack during the breaks. At school, we have 10 to 15 min breaks every hour or 2! Thus, my weight gain. Luckily, I have a pear shaped body which according to Wikipedia, "some studies suggest that fat in the thighs and hips may be beneficial to one's health".

No comments

Post a Comment