Thursday, May 17, 2012

GNIE: Waiting for 1st bus at 4:45am

It's just 1st day of the 2nd week of semester 2, and I already feel like I'm trailing behind time. We have 3 days of classes and 2 days of clinical each week. However, students are required/expected to spent hours daily for revision and/or preparatory work at home.

Waiting for 1st bus at 4:45am.
I woke up at 4am in order to reach the bus-stop by 4:45am.

The above photo was taken at on Monday 14th-May at 4:45am. If you look closely, you can see the bus-stop pole slightly in the foreground and to the right of the electrical pole (on the left edge of the photo). What am I doing up so early in the morning? I was waiting for the 1st bus to travel to my group's car-pool pick-up point, followed by a long drive up to the hospital where I had been assigned for my twice weekly clinical attachment. 2.5 hours each way, a total of 5 hours spent travelling for each shift. Twice weekly, over 8 weeks for semester 2. Similarly, last semester I had to catch the 1st bus (in another direction) to another hospital for clinical too.

Meanwhile I may have to reduce my internet surfing and blogging time to focus more on studies. I don't know if I'd be successful at that, as "discipline in studies" is not my strong suit. Keeping my fingers crossed that I would pull through, just like I've done to-date in life.

------------------------------

The migration journey of uprooting oneself, traveling across oceans, integrating and re-establishing oneself in a new country is no easy feat. Let not those Singaporeans who think "quitting is the easy/loser option" fool you otherwise. As it is, I have personally met a few who gave up along the journey, and others who are still hanging on after a couple of "false-starts".

No comments

Post a Comment