Thursday, June 28, 2012

GNIE: Sharing notes

As I have blogged about before, some people "take but don't give" and yet expect others to share notes with them.

Well, it is the 2nd and final exam for Sociology tomorrow. As usual, some people skip class, without explanations given to the Sociology lecturer whom they know does not take attendance. Early Wednesday morning, I scanned and emailed all my handwritten notes to most of my classmates, excluding AmP, AmJ (as per previous exam), and JC and DL.

------------------------------
Why are JC and DL from the Fillipino group added to the list? I know from observation (and which AA confirmed) that JC and DL have various notes from the seniors but they never shared with others in the group, not even with their fellow Filipinos. Instead, they asked for notes from IT, myself and others in the past. Given JC's selfish behaviour at our clinical [click here and here] I decided to exclude JC and her buddy DL as well.
In addition, JC and her buddy DL got on my nerves by their insistence on speaking Tagalog in our mixed group, even talking past me (sometimes I sat in-between them and the others) in Tagalog to the other Filipinos. They merrily continue to disregard me even when I made guestures of awkwardness (e.g. cough-cough, "following" their conversation by turning to face to the person speaking, give them my "interested" look, remarking "Huh?"). Often the other Filipinos will quickly switch to English, recognizing how disrespectful and non-inclusive such behaviour is. After observing for some time, I noted that 90+% of the time JC and DL were the 2 culprits of being non-inclusive and instigating the other Filipinos to join their behaviour.
Now, if JC and DL do not want me to join the Filipino group, they should jolly well check with the other Filipinos -- the others have no problem talking to each other and me in English. [And it's not like I need to be with them.] Personally, I find it ironic that JC and DL are the 2 who complained the loudest about CRNBC's rising English requirements given that they do not practise conversing in English when they have the opportunity to. As it is, they are already breaking the school rules of "English only" for GNIE students while on campus. If they continue to do that while nursing in Canada, they can lose their RN license for not meeting the CRNBC "Provision of Service to the Public" standard, i.e. by refusing to collaborate in English. No sympathy from me for such nurses. [FYI, in contrast, AP's English is worse than JC's and DL's but she has consistently shown enough sensitivity to be inclusive in her conversations.] 
Note: I am not directing this at Filipinos, per se. The rule of thumb is, it is only professional to speak the official language and/or lingua franca while at work or in a professional setting. In general, those who want to speak Tagalog at work, should work in The Philippines. Similarly, for Mandarin, work in PRC or Taiwan. Similarly, for Hindi or Punjabi, work in India. And so on.
------------------------------
Anyway, back to my Sociology notes. One of my classmates SP came over during break today to clarify something in my notes which she had printed out. After class, I headed for the library, walking behind AmP and AmJ. They suddenly turned around and said, "You sent the notes to the whole class. We didn't receive it."

I replied, "I didn't send the notes to the whole class."

AmJ countered, "SP told us that you sent the notes to the whole class."

AmP added, "We didn't receive it."

I replied, "No, I didn't send to the whole class. Did you attend class?"
[I know that AmJ skipped one or more classes without explanation. And AmP had skipped classes before too.]
AmJ replied, "I didn't go for class one week."

I replied, "I only share my notes with those who attend classes..."

AmJ interjected, "But I was having asthma, cold, and flu and all."

AmP said something in support of AmJ. [I forgot what she said.]

I added, "... and are not selfish or competitive."

AmJ and AmP challenged, "But you shared it with others? No?" [Sorry, I cannot remember if those were their exact words.]

I replied calmly and firmly, "It is not my duty to help you."

At which point they finally realize that they cannot pressurize me to share my notes. AmP turned and said as she walked away, "It's ok, I have my own notes."

AmJ looked at me, then turned to AmP and then back to me and said, "It's ok, I will borrow her notes."

I said, "Yes, you can get help from her."

As I've mentioned before, I no longer believe in helping those who are kiasu (competitive). Anyway, the Sociology lecturer pretty much assured us that all of us will pass, so why worry? Lastly, I wonder how these 2 teach their children manners when they don't even say "please" or "thank you" when asking for favours.

No comments

Post a Comment