Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lazy weekend = My dream retirement

Since my surgical clinical was completed last week, I had my much appreciated 1st long weekend since the start of this school semester.

After school on Friday, I went to the supermarket to stock up my fridge. Thereafter over the weekend, I stayed home and did nothing of consequence. Slept+++, did my laundry, cleaned my bedsheets and bed items, cleaned my room, surfed internet, watch YouTube videos, chatted with my housemates, etc. On Monday, I prepped for my 1st formal event in Metro Vancouver (donned a ballroom gown), attended a theatre awards ceremony in the evening (we were nominated albeit we didn't win), and caught up with some friends. Lazed around at home again today (Tuesday), doing more non-consequent stuff. 

Hmm, it made me think: that is how I would like my retirement to be -- a lazy, relaxed affair. Maybe catching up with friends weekly, a weekly volunteer assignment (to continue contributing to my community), participating in some cultural, nature-appreciation or other related events fortnightly, and then mostly sitting back, relaxing and doing absolutely nothing of consequence.

Yeah! I don't care if I am labelled an under-motivated underachiever in life. All I care is that I can envision a happy retirement in Canada. That makes me happy, and that is all that matters.

7 comments:

  1. Talking about retirement and self sufficiency, we seem to share very similar ideas. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if you are my neighbouring house 3km away in a rural area one day.

    It takes a lot of effort to be self sufficient and there is so much to learn. I reckon we have enough time to take these on during retirement. but we should expose ourselves to these as early as we can, at a smaller scale. There is simply no chance we can learn as fast at sunset days.

    Do share if you have any advancement on this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi asingaporeanson,

      Thanks for dropping by and your comment. Haha, birds of a feather flock together, so being neighbours is a possibility.

      Right now I am focusing on establishing my career here. Nevertheless, getting green thumbs is on my to-do list, KIV for future action. I will definitely need to learn, because going by my past experience, I am more of a plant -killer than a gardener. Fortunately, there are community gardens in Metro Vancouver and training courses for those interested.

      Will sure share and also follow your progress on this issue.

      For those interested, here's asingaporeanson's blog entry about buying a house and retirement.
      http://asingaporeanson.blogspot.ca/2012/07/buying-house-in-jb.html

      Cheers, WD.

      Delete
  2. Hi Winking Doll,

    How about this? Let's both start growing a pot of plant, preferably something useful like a herb, spice, root or fruit and update each other the progress weekly or month if it is too much of a hassle.

    A small pot of plant isn't too much to ask for while establishing a career ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi asingaporeanson,

      I do have small pot of basil. I had changed the pot because it was overgrown. But it is not doing well ever since the change of pot and addition of fertilizer, it dropped almost all of its luxurious leaves.

      Like I said, looks like I'm more of a plant-killer. If the basil dies on me, it would not be the first plant that I've killed. Heck, I have even killed an "air plant" as a result of over-watering, haha :-D

      Cheers, WD.

      Delete
    2. alright so i'll grow mine then. probably this weekend

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of retirement. Doing things that you would normally do but couldn’t because you are too busy with other stuff is great! I mean, retirement should be enjoyable and fun. And how you planned it sounds that you’re going to love what you will do on your retirement, especially the part that you want to catch up with friends that can’t normally do because of your complicated work schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cara,

      Thanks for visiting and sharing your comments. Hope we will both have an enjoyable and fun retirement! :)

      Cheers, WD.

      Delete