Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Being Cinderella's magic

Yesterday I went to a drop-off location to donate some items to "The Cinderella Project" in Vancouver.
Founded in 1999, "The Cinderella Project provides underprivileged high school graduates with formal attire so they can attend their graduation festivities with pride. Without assistance, these students could not afford to participate in celebrating this important milestone." - The Cinderella Project
Why did I donate?
  • First off, the project needed "very small sizes (0-2)" dresses and I happened to have a couple of dresses that I have outgrown. Yup, I am now about 1 to 1.5 inches wider in my waist than I was upon landing in Canada.
  • Secondly, I am reminded of how I ended up attending my JC prom night (i.e. social equivalent of Canadian high school graduation ball) in a blouse and skirt that matched the waitresses uniform for that night. Yes, being born-poor has social consequences. If you think that my experience was unique, look at Xianlong's comment on that blogpost. Quoting Xianlong, "U feel embarassed at your prom night, i'm even worse than you - i dare not attend although i've bought a long sleeve white shirt for the occasion."
  • It is my habit to regularly spring-clean to make space in my limited wardrobe space for new items. The 2 dresses reminded me of Mr SMS (long story). Anyway, time to let go of the past, the old me. I have an aunt who kept many of her clothes from over the decades. When I saw the piles of clothes in her bedroom years ago, the first thought I have was, "This is someone who cannot let got of her material possessions and/or her past. And possibly someone who is not confident of making/creating enough to meet her current/future needs."
"It’s about the dream, not the dress." - The Cinderella Project

No comments

Post a Comment