Sunday, September 08, 2013

Cancelled work-shift

Around noon last Friday, I received a missed call and a phone message from a nurse manager (who was covering for my nurse manager) that my Saturday work-shift has been cancelled with a message that, "Your manager JC is (currently) away and will be following up with you."

When I received the message, the first questions on my mind were if there was a change in my client's condition and/or some changes to the family's plan -- which are the most common reasons why work-shifts get cancelled for home health nursing. Then I remember that if a shift was cancelled for those reasons, the manager usually does not have to follow-up with the nurse.

Thus it got me wondering. That shift was with a particularly challenging client and I had been charting (i.e. writing down in the nursing notes) about my client's condition and our interactions. I guess my nurse manager wanted a discussion with me to gather how I feel about the issues/situation. I am actually looking forward to speak with my nurse manager to hear what she has to share.

I am generalizing here, but therein lies the difference between nursing in Singapore and nursing in B.C., Canada. In Singapore, when a nurse manager wants to speak with the nurse, it is often "bad news" or "blame fest". In Canada, I can expect that my views be heard and my needs attended to, even as a lowly cog in the work-wheel.

------------------------------

[Update on Tue 10-Sep-2013]

I've spoken with my nurse manager today. I will be taken off this client's case and re-assigned to other cases. I am so thankful for the support from my nurse manager and others from the company.

2 comments:

  1. Because in Canada and other first world countries, nursing is a profession and nurses are not maids nor doctors' handmaidens.

    ReplyDelete